Thursday, June 4, 2009

It's always something!

Well, the ups and downs continue. Dr. Fong looked at my MRI from May 29th and said, “Looks pretty good, especially for only 7-8 weeks out. The tonsil and the lymph nodes have dramatically reduced in size.”

Next I expect to hear back from Dr. Yom and the UCSF Tumor Board, but due to bureaucratic delays in getting the info to them that won’t be until next Wednesday at the earliest. After that I get a PET CT done at 12 weeks out and we will get a new number. Numbers greater than 90% are welcome, greater than 95% especially so. :)

My dentist gave me glowing reviews on the job I’ve done on my dental hygiene but found a dip pit between the gum and tooth at one corner of a tooth that had a root canal last May. This usually means a cracked root and replacement with an implant. Since any extractions expose me to severe bone infections due to the intense radiation that bone has already suffered, an implant is not an attractive option. (Per Dr. Yom: absolutely NO EXTRACTIONS.) We may end up leaving the injured tooth in place and fighting the inevitable bacteria infections with antibiotics for the rest of my life. Not what a person who is looking forward to getting off all of these meds wants to hear.

With Bonnie’s encouragement and help I’ve added more non-liquid foods to my diet. That’s a nice plus and it lets me keep an eye on the status of my taste buds. So far, taste is starting to return except for sweet.

This coming week I need to build up my stamina since I have back-to-back graduations to attend June 11 & 12. That will be a dry run for me to help decide how much of a customer meeting I can attend the following week in San Ramon.

2 comments:

  1. 95% that sounds familiar. Reminds me (and lots of others at work no doubt) of the first times I dared present graphs without 95% confidence intervals to Todd. This meant you were in for a friendly but consistent lecture.

    I think its a good sign. Take care and enjoy the graduations.

    Maarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from an old friend from your University of Buffalo days. I'm so sorry to hear of your health situation. In reading this I'm reminded of who you are and the keys you hold within yourself to getting through this.

    I remember you sitting by yourself in a corner at a party back in 1977. Somehow in the midst of loud music and insane conversations, there you were in your own little world, able to fully focus on studying something...oh yea... MUST have been Organic Chemistry! You were the only person I ever remember being able to do that.

    I also remember your determination in learning to play hockey. Boy, you hated that helmet. I don't know who told you you could skate, but they were wrong. Yet you kept at it and mastered it anyway.

    Both of those qualities will serve your healing well now. Visualize focusing your positive energy on blasting those diseased cells out of your body. Apply your old determination toward finding ways to boost your immune system; therein fighting from the inside out, in addition to from the outside in.

    Your family and friends sound wonderfully supportive and that's the greatest gift of all. Cherish that. This is not the end, it's a new beginning. You are a fighter Todd. Never forget that.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete