Sunday, May 31, 2009

Updates from BB and TB

Sorry we haven't blogged much lately. I keep thinking, hoping we are back to "normal" and of course we are not. Todd is still recovering from treatment and will be for a while. Meanwhile, life rolls on -- Dash is graduating from 8th grade and Lauren from high school in the next few weeks. They are busy with end-of-year projects, finals, and in the case of Dash and Carolyn, getting ready for their summer trips. Carolyn is taking her last driving sessions, hoping to get her license in July. Lauren has been working after school and getting ready to flee the nest. I fear summer will just fly by -- our last summer with the three kids still at home!

We were recalling that last year at this time we were getting ready for our big trip to Europe with the kids. I was apprehensive about traveling with 3 sometimes crankypants teenagers for 3 weeks, but we really did have a great time, and we all have lots of nice memories of the trip. I remember how carefree we were then -- nothing but blue skies! I tell you friends, take those trips, don't put off those things that make you happy, as those memories will help sustain you through the crazy times!

Todd's sister Penny (from PA) and her children Heather and Chad came to visit us last weekend. Heather is now 27, Chad 24, and our kids adore them both (and also Heather's boyfriend, who was unable to make this trip). I snuck away to drive up to Napa with them one of the days, and we had a great time. They came to our 59th Annual Memorial Day neighborhood picnic. The weather was a little frigid by dinnertime, but they were good sports! It was a really nice visit. Last year his sister Amy and her family came from Boston for a visit just before we left for Europe.

One day last week I drove Todd to Richmond (Chevron) to get his laptop fixed. The tech team quickly dealt with it while he waited. He had a short meeting with his boss, Kevin, while he was there. I'm sure Kevin was shocked to see him. Guys, I'm doing my best to get him better!! I know Todd will be happy for this to be over and be back at work, because he really likes his job and the people he works with. As it was, he slept in the car on the way there, and most of the way back. It doesn't take much to tire him out, unfortunately, but give him some time!

TODD REPORTS:
We met with the UCSF doctors on Tuesday for a check-up. If feels like months since the treatment ended. I still have bouts of nausea, constipation, thrush and throat pain, but overall I feel better than those first couple of weeks after treatment. (Bonnie's note: he was so drugged up then that he doesn't really remember how nasty it was, thank goodness!) Life would just be a whole lot nicer if those other symptoms would disappear. I've been told that it happens, but very slowly.

The highlights of the visits were the comments from the oncologists. Dr. Dubey, the medical oncologist, said she couldn't find the secondary lymph node site. Dr Yom, the radiation oncologist, who is usually conservative in outlook, was saying things like "excellent" and "95% sure that the cancer is gone." Despite the pain and hassle associated with the onging symptoms, this was pretty heady stuff to digest.

I had an MRI on Friday afternoon, which should give us some numbers on the primary site, if there isn't too much inflammation still visible. The results will go before the UCSF tumor board on Wednesday (if all goes well), and Dr. Yom will call me with their findings later this week. In July I have a PET scan scheduled to take a close look at the lymph node. Those two scans should give us more info on the prognosis. Realistically, I can't get a clean bill of health for 5 years yet. I just get examined closely and frequently every 3 months, then 6 months, then yearly for the next 5 years...looking for bad news and hoping for none.

Still, the "95%" number is cause for celebration. My friend Glen who is 5-6 months ahead of me and doing really well, was given a "70%" by Dr. Yom at this stage, so I am blessed so far! Thanks for all your support!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I think 95% sounds like a real positive.
    Good deal!! But as you said it is still a tough road to travel for a few more weeks. But you will get there, no doubt in my mind. What a journey it will have been. I am so proud of you both and how you have handled this life changing event. It really goes to show... you must make the most of EVERY moment. As for the "Graduates"..it really seems like only yesterday you were bringing little Lauren home and how excited we were!That little pink bundle. And here is Dash going into high school! How can that be??? So CareBear is going to be on the streets....look out world...:-) So hang in there loved ones and soon it will be like old times...promise. Love, Dona

    ReplyDelete