Monday, July 27, 2009

Friday's tooth extraction went very well. In fact it was over before I knew it. My endodontist was right, the oral surgeon is very, very good: he showed me a large glob of infection attached to the end of the root and indicated that it definitely would have caused big problems later. He said my chance of getting osteoradionecrosis was small, and that the extraction was clean and the bone was bleeding well (evidently a good sign).

So other than having a sore jaw as the anesthesia wore off and being unable to eat for a few more hours (I was starving) I was in relatively good shape. I was on a limited diet for a few days which, of course, meant that I would lose 3 more pounds that I can't really spare.

Today, I had a root canal on a tooth that my endodontist suspected was dying. Sure enough, once he opened it up it was clear that the tooth was necrotic. He said we caught it in time so I shouldn't have any problems with it. Next week my regular dentist will do the crown prep for the tooth and I'll probably get the permanent crown installed a week or 2 later.

Dropping the pain patches to one 12-patch seemed fine at first, but we decided to go back up to two 12-patches due to some very bad insomnia that the reduction could have been causing or contributing to. It looks like we were right, since I slept through the night last night after 3 nights of only 2.5-3 hrs of sleep. It looks like I might have pretty severe insomnia again when I move down to one patch again, and the final move to zero could be anything from even more severe withdrawl symptoms to no problem at all. The good news is I haven't taken any Ativan in 3 days and I haven't had any withdrawl symptoms over the last 24 hours. Hopefully it stays that way.

I did a lot of research over the weekend trying to determine what was causing the severe insomnia and the weird sensations in my forearms - sort of like insects crawling under my skin. I found that either reducing the Ativan or the pain patches could be causing my symptoms. One other thing I learned was that my appetite stimulant drug could also lead to dependency and withdrawl problems. Oh joy!

So my current drug elimination plan is to completely get off Ativan this week (which consists of monitoring for any more withdrawl symptoms and dealing with them), then go back to reducing the pain patches after the dental work is completed. Since I want my body to be as strong as possible while it heals from the tooth extraction and root canal to minimize the chance of osteoradionecrosis, I need to be getting a full night's sleep to ensure maximum healing. Once I'm off the pain medication I will try stopping the last antiemetic that I'm taking and then finally try to get off the appetite stimulant. Since I believe I'm not experiencing any side effects from the appetite stimulant, I'll go back on it if I find that dropping it adversely impacts my weight.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is the neuropathy (numbness) that has started in my feet and index fingers. Not fun, but the literature says that the build up is gradual after chemo and it peaks somewhere between 3 to 5 months. Hopefully that means it won't get much worse and will fade away completely over time. There are many cases where it is permanent though. This disease has so many fun features. Actually it's not the disease, it's the treatment. The disease ends poorly if not stopped, though, so I'll take the side effects. I just wish they would stop piling up and go away!

No comments:

Post a Comment