Thursday, July 23, 2009

Tomorrow I get my molar with the cracked root extracted. Tuesday we went to the UCSF Dental Department to get a second opinion on how and when we should proceed. They told us that the probability of getting osteoradionecrosis after the extraction was actually lower in the first 4 months after radiation therapy than after that. Evidently the radiation damage takes a while to screw up the circulatory efficiency to the teeth and jaw bone. Since it will be 4 months on August 3rd (my, how time flies when you are having fun - NOT) we have been scrambling to get things set up to do the extraction soon and to make sure that if any other teeth look ready to fail, we get those out now too.

The osteoradionecrosis has me very concerned. When I prompted the UCSF oral surgeon for some encouragment about my chances, he just told me to go check out the internet. I went into a real funk after that for a couple days. Finally when I went to my endodontist today to check out 3 other suspicious teeth I got some encouraging words. My 2 teeth that are currently sensitive to cold were judged to be OK enough to keep. One that has some sensitivity near the root was judged to need a root canal soon (which I will have done next Monday) but he also said that osteoradionecrosis isn't very common and the oral surgeon I am using is very very good. He also mentioned that the UCSF guy I talked to, the head of the department, really knows his stuff but is not a good communicator and lacks empathy. I have never before walked out of the endodontist's office after being told I need a root canal and feeling so much better than when I went in!

Also, tomorrow as part of the extraction treatment I start a powerful antibiotic to try to prevent infection of the bone that's exposed during the extraction, because infection is a primary path to osteoradionecrosis. Since it is very powerful I may have side effects from it since it can completely mess up the bacteria balance in my digestive system. There is even a (rare)possibility of very severe life-treatening colitis for up to 4 months following taking the antibiotic.
I should be getting used to having my life threatened by medical treatments that are supposed to save me by now! ;-)

At least my withdrawl symptoms pale in comparison.

Speaking of withdrawl, I went down to one pain patch today. I should know by tomorrow if I can stay there or need to go back up to two. Also I'm only taking 0.25mg of Adivan (at night) for the last 3 days and I HAVE been able to sleep. I have had bouts of depression and some throat discomfort but who knows where those are coming from.

I swear that if I ever get back to close to 100% healthy, I will never take my good health for granted again!

1 comment:

  1. It just doesn't seem at all fair to have tooth trouble after all you have been through. But hopefully they can take care of it without any bad consequences. If it helps any, I just had a root canal on Thursday and the last part will be 8/6. So I feel your pain (somewhat)Hang in there and know it is soon to be over!I'll be thinking of you...Dona Mae

    ReplyDelete