Saturday, March 28, 2009

I love the weekend

The weekends are such a relief...no trips to the city. Instead I zoomed over to Ace Hardware at 7 a.m. today to buy Todd a garden sprayer. In talking to Diane last night about Todd's difficulty eating, she told me how she had used a garden sprayer to spray the back of her her throat for a good 10 minutes to thin out the mucus before drinking the Ensure. It was a great idea, as Todd has had 3 bottles of Ensure today (over 1,000 calories). This is a nice breakthrough--bless you, Diane! Between that and the IV fluids yesterday and today, Todd is feeling much better. He's even regained his sense of humor. Boy, this is such a relief!

He doesn't want to do the feeding tube, so we will see how the next few days go. If he can keep the calories up, I think he will do fine. Lauren and I went to Costco for a case of Ensure today. Thank you all for your comments.

5 comments:

  1. Yay, the sprayer is working. It would be great if he can go without the feeding tube. Keep up the good work. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness for support and advice from people like Diane! You should tell your oncologist about these tips so that they can be passed on to other patients.

    I'm hoping this means no feeding tube and sending positive thoughts your way. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! Thanks for sharing it with us. Glen used to get upset with me when I cheered for his successes and then pushed for a tiny bit more...so since it's hard to break old habits - here's to wishing for even one more Ensure today! And thanks to Diane for the great tip! It takes a village to get through this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bonnie. I'm so glad to hear about this sprayer trick and that it had such great results. I knew you had a green thumb, but who knew you could put a garden sprayer in your hands and you could cure hunger! Bravo to Todd! I hope he had continued success getting lots of Ensure in him. We know he has the incentive if it means he could avoid the feeding tube. Love you guys, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bonnie,

    Glad to read that you guys are holding up and have so many good friends to help you through it. I hop that you are following Kristie's advice with the wine...its and antidote to a lot of things.

    I've got you in my thoughts and prayers and wish I was down there to help with the meals on wheels.

    Audrey in Oregon

    ReplyDelete