Sunday, April 19, 2009

Starting Week 3 Post-Treatment

Sunday, April 19th
Todd is doing very well today, thank you! When I woke this morning at about 8:30, he was already up and had a list of things he wanted to get done today (if that's not Todd!). He spent a few minutes trying to figure out why our cordless phone system is not working, and then we went out to check the irrigation system, truly the job I despise most in the universe!

The entire yard, front and back, is overgrown, as I haven't done my (gradual) spring pruning, which I normally start in February. So it means climbing between, around and under overgrown plants and bushes, trying to find the irrigation heads to check that all the tiny hoses are still connected. Often if I run a section of the system I can hear the hissing of the water where a hose has become disconnected, but that's not always the case. It's dirty, dusty, allergy-inducing work and my nose is usually raw by the time I finish a section. I chopped as I went, just to cut through the underbrush, and Todd turned the system on and off for me and help load the green bin. I later found him on the back stoop with our dear neighbor Vince, who has just cut down a small tree for us in the backyard. Vince was sitting in the shade, chainsaw at his feet, having a beer and Todd was sitting there next to him, drinking an Ensure! -- a scene that just warmed my heart!!

As he still isn't getting the number of calories he needs, I need to be careful that he only burns them on internal healing, as much as he might want to do other things. He does get tired pretty quickly. But it is good that he is thinking outside of himself! I am so utterly thankful that he is getting better. I simply can't imagine life without him, as he completes my world.

I am so thankful, as is Todd, for all your prayers and positive thoughts, and cards and flowers and fruit and food and driving and emails and everything you have done for us. Every single thing has made a difference!

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day! And great news that Todd is feeling better. Slowly, but surely, increment by increment, you will all become increasingly aware of the small victories and and the big ones too. The "tortoise" will definitely win the race. (As Glen left for Scotland I was remembering that just a few short months ago he wasn't sure he'd be ready. Once he turned a corner...he never looked back.)

    Thanks so much for the update. As selfish as it seems, it's so nice to read how things are going and not get in your way with all that you have to do. We are rooting for you all!
    Joyce
    (and Glen - who is in Scotland...Lucky him!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...you made us both cry. We are so happy that Todd is feeling better and that he has his Bonnie! We love you both!
    Kristie & Jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bon for all the updates. I'm torn between calling you...for your family needs ALL your time and attention..and when you do have a brief moment...if ever..I want you to relax. I keep trying to picture Todd in my mind..in the backyard, enjoying a beautiful day. It is even more beautiful with his lovely wife within his view. Max and I pray for Todd all the time...to get stronger and not have any pain. Bon, you are an amazing woman. You have always been able to hold down the fort while Todd was off on his travels. Todd will lean on you for just a while longer..then you can collapse in his arms and let his strength take over. I hope the little munchkins are doing well. I love you all with all my heart! C

    ReplyDelete