Monday, April 27, 2009

Todd's first blog post-treatment!

I'M BACK. I finally have recovered enough to help Bonnie out with the blog updates. Man, the last few weeks were indeed a journey through hell. Bonnie tells me some detail from the last week of treatment or the first 2 weeks after treatment and I can’t recall any of it. There are massive chunks of those 3 weeks that are just holes in my life. The recovery so far has been pretty much as advertised in that I can’t look for day-to-day improvements. The recovery process is too slow for that. We look at things now week to week.

We did get some good news today at my 1st post-treatment appointment with Dr. Fong at Kaiser. We set up my monitoring schedule for the next few months. He finished with a detailed exam: my neck from the outside, inside of my mouth & throat, and inside again with the camera down the nose. He said he saw and felt no evidence of cancer. He also said that my quick early response to radiation was a very good sign. The next milestones are an MRI to be done at the end of May and a PET scan at 12 weeks.

Although I’m still living on Ensure shakes, my weight seems to have stabilized. I have lost 24 lbs that includes a fair amount of muscle. I have almost no endurance and I get cold very easily. Now my focus is eating enough Ensures a day (6 is the target), staying hydrated (drinking 1-2 liters), getting an appropriate amount of exercise and keeping a positive outlook. Bonnie has been the key to everything. I couldn’t have survived this without her. Yesterday she mounted all of the cards from you folks on the fireplace mantel and told me that I have all these folks and more out there rooting for my recovery. I have to admit it did feel good. So thanks to all of you who have sent cards or flowers or responded to the blog. I’ve managed to read them all and they do help.

This week is better than last week but life is still far from normal. Last night we got distracted and forgot that my opiate patches needed to be replaced. At about 8pm my throat started hurting much more than normal. It hurt so much that continuing to drink was out of the question. I just curled up in a ball and waited for the new patches to take effect.

Dr. Fong suggested that I try eating some soft foods to keep all my swallowing mechanisms working, so I just had my first non-liquid food in weeks, some cherry jello. Progress is so slow that it’s tough to keep a positive outlook consistently. Patience has never been my strong suit.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah! Great report from the doctor! I check your blog everyday and it's so nice hear from Todd this time. Hang in there, you're really making progress! You may not have a lot of patience, but I know you have determination.
    Keep us posted.
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Hear! Hear! Welcome back! You "sound" fabulous and it's great to hear your "voice."

    Your outlook is wonderful and patience is a learned skill...it comes more slowly to some of us, but it does come! Determination is a good word-it will provide the balance between patience (giving your body the time it needs) effort (pushing yourself when you can) and endurance (this is not a sprint).

    The news on your health from your doctor is medicine for the soul. You will win this race and leap over the hurdles to finish strong.

    Again, congratulations to all of your family on your progress.

    joyce and glen (who returns in a matter of days - and boy do we miss him!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear this news!! Keep up the good work, and hope to see you soon!

    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, my dear sweet brother-in-law!! It is soooo nice to "hear" from you! I am so happy to hear from you. You are amazing. You are courageous, a determined fighter, and have always been focused...on whatever it is in life you want. I am so very very happy to hear that you are doing as well as you are. It will all come together. You are surrounded by love...just take it all in!!

    Love you all!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toddberry, What good news! My eyes are spilling over with tears of joy at just seeing your words come to life and know that you are on your way back... I am so very happy for every little step forward you make. And that awesome girl you managed to convince to marry you is an angel on earth if there ever was one!!! Hope to see you soon. Love you guys so much..keep it up and know I am thinking of you all the time. Dona Mae

    ReplyDelete