Friday, May 1, 2009

It's hard to believe that 4 weeks ago Todd had his last double radiation treatment. As he says in his entry (below), it is slow going, but he is moving along!
This weekend we will attempt to get Todd off one more drug . He would then only be on the pain patches and some mild anti-constipation meds. At the pharmacy today, I noticed the clerk had printed out Todd's prescription history since December. I counted them (many were refills): a whopping 49! No wonder I feel like I am there all the time--I have been!
We have cut the IV fluids down to just 1X this week, and will do that (or none) next week, depending upon how much fluid he downs on his own.
We will try some soft foods for Todd this weekend: more jello flavors, puddings, mashed sweet potatoes, maybe canned peaches, so he gets practice using those swallowing muscles and sees what flavors he can taste. It's interesting reading some of the cancer blogs -- to some people everything tastes salty, to others it tastes metallic, to others still, everything tastes like cardboard. The same with the recovery time -- it's all across the board.
Todd is still cold a lot of the time, due to all the weight he has lost. (He seems to be down to a stable 158 this last 1-1/2 weeks). Even in the house he often wears a coat. He looks pretty cute in that leather cowboy hat he bought years ago in Australia! He is looking better over all. It will just take time to get his energy up, his food intake, his swallowing and talking--but it will come!
.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Todd and Bonnie:
    I was thinking about you today, wondering how things were going, wondering where I put the link to you blog. Then I found it and caught up on your status. Gee, I know it seems tough but I think you are going to come out on top. Deirdre and I (and all the kids) are wishing you the best. And we can't wait to see more pics.

    David

    ReplyDelete