Saturday, February 28, 2009

The rest of the week...
Wednesday and Thursday it's radiation at 3:30.
Wednesday I drive Todd and wait for him. He comes out looking the same - not sure what I am expecting. Thursday he drives himself after going to work in the morning. We have a colleague of his over for dinner, a plan we made 2 weeks earlier. It is a good diversion and Todd eats a healthy amount.

Friday is double -dose day. I drop Todd off at UCSF at 7:30 and head to work. His 2nd radiation appointment isn't until 3:30, but after lunch they move it up a little. I leave work at 2:45 to pick him up. Back in WC we stop at Kaiser for more drugs, then Longs, then we are finally home at 5:15. Todd lies on the bed, exhausted. Joyce and Glen come over at 6:30 with a casserole and salad for dinner! I know I can make food, but it is so nice to have it there and not have to think about it. It gives me more time to take care of Todd. We sit and chat, and just as they are about to leave, Todd comes out. Glenn has been such a bright spot for Todd, as Todd is using the same doctors and almost the same treatment. Personally, I keep thinking, "Glen and Joyce did it, we can do it, yes!"

Saturday, Feb 28
Todd is pretty exhausted. The antiemetics keep the nausea at bay, but make him feel strange. He's taking Peptin for heartburn as well. Diane said the nausea could last 6-7 days, so you don't really want to stop the drugs, but as he says, "I don't feel like myself except for a very short period." Carolyn and I reverse the sofa and love seat in the family room so he can lie on the sofa and watch her play Mario. We walk around the block. It is a surprisingly mild day, and so light at 5:30. If he is so lethargic after just 4 days of treatment (admittedly, one was the big chemo day), I wonder how he will be in another week or two. I wish I could infuse him with energy. He has so little.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Todd and Bonnie,

    I had asked Kristie about you recently so she sent me your email with your blog site. I hope you don't mind her sharing this with me. I just finished reading your postings and have you in my thoughts and prayers. It's wonderful that you are doing this blog/journal. I wish I had documented more of my experience when I went through my treatments.


    Audrey (Jim and Kristie's friend from Oregon)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie and Todd,
    One week down...day by day, hour by hour...And yes, we made it and you will too.

    I love your posts - they are so honest and open and give us such insight to your thoughts and current existence. Thanks for sharing.

    Continued positive energy, thoughts and light headed your way...food too! If I don't hear from you, I'll just be dropping something off in the next couple days. And don't forget I can drive for Todd too.

    Hugs,
    joyce

    ReplyDelete