Saturday, February 21, 2009

Wednesday Dec 31, 2008 -- Bonnie and I met Dr. Bryan Fong for the first time today. He had an extensive bio on the Kaiser website and I had liked what I had read. I had prepared a list of questions for him. We talked for more than 1.5 hours and at the end of that time I felt lucky to have him involved in my case. He is quietly competent with excellent listening skills and the ability to communicate effectively with people of varying depth of understanding of their medical condition and the treatment options available to them. Over the next month my respect and trust of him continued to grow. He has been a critical resource for me during the treatment program decision process.

Later that evening Bonnie and I were at our traditional "Gourmet Group" New Year’s Eve dinner and I noticed that I had a phone message. I thought it was one of the kids. It was Dr. Fong who had called me at 8:30 on New Year’s Eve to answer one of my questions and let me know he had set up an appointment with a medical oncologist for me the following week! Over the next several weeks I sent Dr Fong numerous emails with lists of questions. I got replies to 10:00 pm emails at 10:30 pm. I got replies on weekends. I knew it wasn’t possible, but it seemed like I was his only patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment