Saturday, February 21, 2009

Thursday Feb 12, 2009 -- I’m at UCSF for ‘simulation’. Translation – I get a thermoplastic mesh mask molded very tightly to my head, neck and shoulders while it is bolted to the treatment table and my wrists are tied and pulled down with cloth belts at my sides. I must not have a trace of claustrophobia since it doesn’t bother me at all. I can imagine some folks going crazy, though.

Before the mask material cools and sets up they tell me to swallow repeatedly so my Adam’s apple generates the space needed to move when I swallow during my treatments. I also get a CT scan while bolted down in my new mask. I still need a chest x-ray and some specific blood work done before I can be admitted to the trial. They want it all done and reported back to UCSF by Feb. 18, the day they will randomize me to see which part of the trial I am in so my treatment plan can finally be determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment